Every commercial property owner must consider the security benefits of the lights they install. In particular, outdoor security lights must be used to prevent theft, intrusion, and vandalism of your commercial property. But which commercial security lighting is best? And where are the best placements for your lights? When you trust professional commercial electricians at CMI Lighting to install your lights, you can be sure to enjoy satisfying results. Before installing your new security lights, consider the following to ensure you select the best installations for your building.
Consider the Many Types of Commercial Security Lighting
Business owners can consider many different types of exterior security lighting systems. To determine which may benefit you most, survey your building at night to determine where the darkest areas are and where illumination is most needed. The types of lights include:
- Flood Lights: These lights flood areas with light and are ideal for large dark areas around the building.
- Spot Lights: Use this light to illuminate landscape features, art, or essential building signage. Using spotlights to light your business address can also make it easier for first responders to find you.
- Outdoor Wall Lights: Exterior light fixtures can be installed on walls to illuminate entrances or exits.
- Outdoor Ceiling Light Fixtures: Use ceiling lights to illuminate spaces under awnings, parking garages, or other covered areas.
- Standing Lamp Posts: Lamps can offer good overhead lighting in areas without other structures to be attached to. This makes them useful in open parking lots or walkways.
- Motion Sensor Lights: Motion sensor lights detect movement and automatically turn on. This allows you to save power by keeping the lights off when people are not around.
The Placement of Your Security Lighting
To figure out the best placements for your commercial security lighting, consider the most vulnerable areas of your property. For instance, adding lights around all entrances and exits is an excellent place to start. If your building has security cameras, ensure lights are placed near them so the video is captured clearly. Consider installing lights in these other locations:
- Parking lots
- Parking garages
- Building signage
- Doorways, entrances, and exits
- Areas cast in shadow or naturally darker at night
- Statues, outdoor architecture, large shrubs or trees
New Lighting Also Reduces Trips and Falls
Installing new commercial security lighting does more than protect your property from criminal behavior. Adding sufficient outdoor lighting also keeps employees and visitors safe from any potential accidents on your property, including slips, trips, and falls. Illuminating shrubs, staircases, and curbs can protect people from taking the wrong step and injuring themselves.
Maintain Your Security Lighting
Once your commercial electrician has installed your new lighting, you must remember to maintain your lights so you can count on them for security. Establish a regular schedule to replace light bulbs, and have replacements on hand if one is broken or burns out faster than expected. Your CMI Lighting electrician can recommend the best maintenance schedule for your new installations.
EXPERIENCE THE BENEFITS OF GREAT LIGHTING FIRSTHAND WITH HELP FROM CMI LIGHTING
With over 35 years in the industry, CMI has an array of equipment to handle the logistics of any in-house job. We also frequently provide solutions to property managers and upcoming developments. CMI Companies provides services in the Mid-Atlantic Region and proudly serves clients in Northern Virginia, Maryland, Richmond, Southern Virginia, Manassas, Prince William County, Fairfax County, Rockville, and Prince George’s County. Also, check us out on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.